Church

All Saints Church Pytchley

The church of All Saints has been a focal point of the village since the 12th century. Like the name of the village, it too has evolved over time.

The oldest part of the church dates from the 12th century and includes the two arches and the pier between them at the end of the Nave and North aisle. There are some remnants of painted decoration on the more Westerly arch dating from this period. The tower dates the same period. Three stages of building are evident with the final stage being added around 1430.

During the thirteenth century, the church was substantially rebuilt. The Nave was extended to the East a Chancel and a South aisle were added (c.1240); The North aisle extension was completed in 1280. The Chancel was rebuilt substantially in the form we see today, in the 14th century.

The font which has a circular bowl that is unusual in its form, was dug up in the churchyard and placed in the church in 1838. It is believed to be Norman.

The church has five bells in its tower that were re-hung in 1913. Rung regularly in the last century, local enthusiasts began the tradition again in preparation for the Millennium celebrations and still continue.

Additional information